Friday, May 29, 2009

Sam Bourne : The Righteous Men - Not bad, but not 'that' great either


Salam.

I thought of writing a review on this book ages ago but haven’t got the time to do so. So here I am, as free as a bird (? lol).

Well, well, well, this is the 2nd Sam Bourne’s work that I’ve read and I must give him some credit (before I trash him a bit lol) for this book. The Righteous Men. It is definitely not as bad as ‘The Last Testament’ which is another one of his works. You can read my review on The Last Testament HERE.

Synopsis

Before further comments on the book, I’d like to give some insight to every1 who hasn’t read the book yet on how the story develops.

The Main character, William Monroe Jr is a New York Times journalist, around 20 ish, and is married to his wife Beth, who is described to be very beautiful. And so as Will, described to be very attractive. (so typical of all novel huhu). As a journalist, Will is always looking for stories to write and somehow he stumble into the mysterious murders of men, all of whom turn out to be 'Robin Hood' type characters - outwardly wicked, but secretly performing acts which show them to be truely righteous men - when, suddenly he got an email saying that his wife is kidnapped. The kidnapper didn’t want any money or anything they just wanted to borrow Beth for awhile. And Will was told not to involved the police or his wife will be killed. he has no clue as to who has kidnapped her or why. Will was determined to find out!

Suddenly, he is dragged into a very different world as the clues lead him to what appears to be an orthodox Jewish sect. He is fighting for his life - his and that of his wife and friends - and is on the run from the police, who suspect him of murder.

Through out the journey, he got some help from his two friends, Tom, will’s bestfriend and who is a computer genius. And also T.C (stands for Tova Chaya.. you will only found out that towards the end of the book..its a Jewish name), TC is a great help for Will since she is like a freakin genius who knows EVERYTHING and EVERY KNOWLEDGE in the world but yet she doesn’t know the difference between pop music and hip hop. You might have pictureD TC as being a geeky girl wearing a spec and everything but NAAAAH you’re wrong! She’s the type of girl who dies her hair blue and pierced her belly button and she’s an artist (painter not singer la). Owh forget to mention, she was William’s ex. There’s a conflict! haha.


The Review

Like I said, not bad... but.. well, okay I hate to compare it with TDVC (The Da Vincci Code) but I HAVE TO! LOL (why? Coz The Mirror claimed Sam Bourne to be ‘The biggest challenger to Dan Brown's crown !’ and I’ve spend money and time on the book bcoz of this OVERATED comment, hence I HAVE TO COMPARE IT TO TDVC!! Thank u.hehe). THE MIRROR is totally rubbish! Haha sorry The Mirror. I guess ‘The Mirror’ haven’t really actually ‘read’ TDVC. TDVC is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than TRM (The righteous Men).

One of the lacking element in TRM is the excitement in the ‘puzzle’ solving. TRM is just like TDVC, there are loads of puzzle to be solve by the main character along the way to find the truth. But in TRM the puzzle is like...hmm.. how should I put this... kinda lame. Not as challenging as TDVC. TDVC’s puzzle is more exciting and you learn alot thru the puzzles. And I love how Dan Brown’s connect the puzzle with history! It made the puzzle so believable and the story seem so TRUE. Instead TRM puzzle is so not connected with any of the Jew’s history or world history in general. Sam Bourne seem to try to make the connection but it is not convincing enough!.

Sam Bourne is definitely not a contender for Dan Brown: the Da Vinci Code was fast paced and unputdownable.

I recommend Dan Brown’s fan not to expect anything from this book. But its good to read. Not bad. The plot is there. You keep wanting to know why the Jews capture Beth and what are the connections between Will and the 36 righteous Men. That is what kept me reading this book.

Ps: after reading two of Sam Bourne's works, I have a feeling that he's a jew. or if not, then he's a jews lover.lol

Huhu I miss Dan Brown’s and J.K Rowling...

What’s next?... what should I read next?!!... any recommendation? Huhu.

I think I’ll try get my hands on one of the twilight saga.


sayonara


No comments: